[mythtv-users] Starting Slave backend

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun Jul 15 05:23:45 UTC 2007

> I just set up a new slave backend.  Some how my mysql on that box got
> hosed
> and is not working.  So i figured if i made it a slaveBE it would be fine
> since its not using the local db.  When i start mythbackend as root from
> terminal it works fine.  but when i start the BE as a service it crashes.
> when i check to logs its because it is trying to connect to the local
> mysql.  how do i stop this?
>

> I have my /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt set correctly.

Sounds to me as though you have answered your own question - as root it
looks in its HOME directory (i.e.  in /root/.mythtv....) so if as a
service it doesn't find the mysql.txt file then it can't be running as
root or the HOME var is hosed.

Check the startup script in /etc/init.d (or whereever your distro does
this stuff) and see what the script does - it probably sets the user to
something other than root or doesn't set the HOME environment variable
correctly if it is root.

--
Robin Gilks