[mythtv-users] Rearranging my myth system architecture - thoughts on directions?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:50:07 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Bruce H McIntosh <scotsman at afn.org> wrote:
<snip />

> Andrew Close wrote:
> > get a core2duo mac mini w/ 1GB RAM for the frontend and add an HD
> > Homerun to the backend for HD.
>
> I'm less than enchanted with the Mac Mini for this application.  Based
> on my system-spec'ing research, I can still beat the Mac Mini on
> price-performance piece-parting a machine from NewEgg, especially if I
> take advantage of bundle deals and sale prices.  Also, I want to be able
> to use the frontend as a DOS/Win games machine.  I still cling
> tenaciously to Wing Commander and System Shock (which I expect to bet
> 16x as creepily immersive on a colossal screen even with the big blocky
> pixels at 640x480).  SHODAN LIVES!

one reason i mentioned the mac mini was the form factor for a
frontend.  i'm not sure you can beat that (price or performance) when
building your own.  although, i haven't really looked in the the AOpen
mini pc.  they don't have pricing on their website and i didn't see
pricing on any of their retailers websites in my area...
the mac mini should be more than capable of being setup as a DOS/Win
game machine.  it is all 'standard' hardware now after all.  dual
boot, or more, would be the same as a BYO.

;)