[mythtv-users] Live HD TV jumpy

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Thu Jul 12 06:34:55 UTC 2007

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.  I appreciate that my CPU is
not exactly state of the art, but I'm still wondering how it can
simultaneously record TWO high def shows and play back a third,
previously recorded, hi def show without any problems at all but can't
play back live HD TV!  (live standard def works fine)  How is this
different?  The recording of the two shows taxes the system just like
live TV, in fact twice as much if I'm recording two shows.  And playing
back a THIRD show should REALLY tax it.  But is works GREAT!

AND, I can watch a show while it's recording and it works just fine!  I
can schedule a show to start now and then go to the Watch Recordings
menu, select the show and whala!  It plays just fine!  While it's
recording!  If I stop the recording and go to the same channel, same
system, same everything and try to watch "live" TV, it screws up
royally.  There's something different between live TV and recording per
a schedule and whatever that difference is, it's screwed up on my
system.  Should I be posting something to the developers list to get
some detail on the difference?

BTW, I looked at my CPU usage again and something I've done (upgrades,
configuration, xorg.conf settings, ???) has made the CPU usage during HD
(1080i with Dolby Digital) playback only use a little over 50%!  When I
switch to live TV, it's no higher, but the jumpy, blocky, unwatchable
problem is still there.

Still hoping someone can tell me what's different between watching a
show that's recording and watching live TV.  Thanks again.

DaveD