[mythtv-users] Two-backends with two-frontends on one machine?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 12 01:03:17 UTC 2007

On 07/11/2007 07:26 PM, Billy Macdonald wrote:
> I've really never been concerned
> about fragmentation, but your arguements are quite valid.  At this
> point it is "good enough" so I've never looked at addressing
> performance.  I'm sure I get a prebuffering pause here or there as it
> will stutter sometimes, but rarely.

And, in truth, the spindling approach (writing each recording to a
separate spindle) pays off most during the writing.  The fragmentation
causing issues on playback requires severe fragmentation that's not
super common (or, at least takes a longer time than many Myth users take
between major system changes that may require filesystem re-creation).

However, fragmenting 2 recordings as they record to one filesystem
causes degraded write performance and--coupled with other I/O-hungry
processes, like MySQL writes--can actually cause recording glitches.
While RAID striping can improve write performance, parallelizing writes
to different spindles can do much more.

>   I'd look, but then it would be a
> mission to fix them, which I don't feel like doing.

Yeah.  I've been told the idea behind Myth is to allow you to watch the
TV it records, but I have more fun tinkering with it.  :)

Mike