[mythtv-users] Xv on Myth [was yum Q: Can I use yum with local rpms?]

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Wed Jul 11 22:37:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, July 11, 2007 12:48 pm, Tom Greer wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:
>
>> The problem is, an indiscriminant yum update with Myth can break things
(and would be hard to roll back) because the Myth is still fragile and
the
>> newer versions, especially of libs, might not work.
>> I wouldn't dare touch any of the Myth programs with yum or anything else.
>> But I might want to load something from my MythDora 4.0 DVD and ask yum to
>> fill in the blanks appropriately.
>
> I don't know that I would agree that Myth is fragile.  In my experience,
yum
> on Fedora is fragile.
>
> I have switched to Ubuntu (as I believe many others have as well) where the
> package management is more robust.  If you are staying with Fedora, then
you
> might want to explore SMART as a package manager.  It does a much better
job
> of resolving dependencies - and it includes a GUI front end that makes
it
> easy to select which packages you want update/upgrade.
>
> Of course, the best solution is to find a stable working environment -
and
> don't mess with it.  (Old adage: What is the definition of a software
upgrade?  It's where you trade a set of known bugs for an unknown set.)

> Somehow, I never learn that lesson...  There is always a new feature I
want.
> 8^)
>
> Tom
>
> PS.  I can't help with the Xv problem.

Point taken. I meant no disrespect. Complex systems are fragine if by tht
we mean that you have to get it right, and *nix systems are the most
robust in preventing upgrade woes I have used. Also, I'm a Myth newb, and
newbies can screw up anything.

A solution to Xv has been suggested (load the xvattr rpm) and I'm halfway
through testing it. It's now on my Myth box, but still errors out in the
Myth GUI ("F" during a playback).

I need to do some testing and maybe ask some questions on the MythDora
forum. I probably have not made a necessary link somewhere.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer