[mythtv-users] Any have an xorg.conf for NVIDIA that uses a special ModeLine?

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 20:15:17 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know what my
> modeline should be so if anyone is willing to share their working
> Xorg.conf file it would be appreciated.  TIA.

Other people's working modelines won't do you any good, unless you are
driving the exact same display device that they are.  You will need to tell
us what display you are using.

Better yet, you could figure out why X is ignoring your modeline.  If you
look in your Xorg.0.log file (typically in your /var/log/ directory), it
will tell you some interesting stuff.

In my experience, modelines most often get ignored because they would drive
the display in a mode that is outside the specified ranges for the device.
In other words, if the modeline would require a horizontal sync, vertical
refresh, etc. that does not fall within the device's range, then it gets
ignored.  Which is a good thing, because it prevents the display from being
inadvertently damaged.

These ranges may have been specified by you in the file, or they may have
been read from the device using EDID.  If you have not explicitly instructed
EDID to be ignored, then the EDID-supplied data overrides what you specify
in the xorg.conf file.  (Be aware that EDID is not always accurate.)

With a little homework on your part, you can help us help you.

Tom