[mythtv-users] TiVo-like program guide

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 11 16:41:58 UTC 2007

On 07/11/2007 10:39 AM, Jay Mallar wrote:

>> Looks to me like that assumes that the user is more interested in
>> watching a particular channel than in watching a particular show. ...
> That's entirely true.  I have several channels that I just scan
> through when I'm looking for something to watch.

Eventually, you'll probably get to the point that you never need to do
that--you'll scan through the list of recorded programs when you're
looking for something to watch.  Then, the EPG is /only/ useful for
scheduling recordings--and even then, searches are often easier than
using the EPG (whether vertical or horizontal).  But, if it's something
you want now and you're willing to code it, feel free.

>    Discovery Channel, HBO...  sometimes I'm not looking for something
> in particular, but I know I watch a lot of what those channels put
> out, and often like to see what's coming up that I might be interested
> in recording.

Sounds like a perfect reason to implement Chris Petersen's
long-sought-after multiple named favorites lists with easy list
switching.  :)

If you do implement the vertical guide, you may want to talk to Justin
Hornsby about doing so in a way that's "best" for theme developers.

Mike