[mythtv-users] Best Remote?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:18:39 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, David Frascone <dave at frascone.com> wrote:

> I currently have a Harmony 880 remote -- but I'm thinking of downgrading.
>
> It used to control my vcr, media center, dvd player, dvd recorder, and
> comcast PVR.  (And, of course, TV and AV Receiver)
>
> Now it controls my mythtv, and, occasionally, a VCR.  (And TV & AV receiver)
>
> But -- I've had trouble finding a good profile to have enough buttons to
> control my myth effectively.  I want commercial skip buttons, delete
> buttons, parental control buttons, etc.  So I quickly run out.
>
>  So -- my question is -- what's the best remote for Myth?  I'm willing to
> e-bay my harmony, to if I can find something with lots of buttons, with a
> good lircrc, that will also control volume on my AV receiver, and power on
> my TV.
>
> Any suggestions?

Dave,

If you're using a hauppauge pvr ir receiver, you need to find a remote
profile that uses rc5.  If you can figure out what remote Jarod's
Universal remote guide is using (it's labeled as 0081 VCR for Radio
Shack and OFA remotes, which is a Phillips/Magnavox VCR, I think) you
could follow most of his guide (i.e. the lirc stuff) to get it
working.

Here's the link:
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php

--