[mythtv-users] Freeview (UK) Aerial Distribution Amplifiers

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 16:17:27 UTC 2007

Ian Barton wrote:
> I am considering adding more tuners to my MythTV box. A the the moment I
> have two tuners  and the signal from the aerial is fed into a cheap and
> cheerful amplifier box that looks a bit like a standard 13 amp plug.
> This works well, but only has two outputs.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations about amplifiers/distribution
> boxes, with 4-6 outputs? Previous experiments have indicated that
> splitting Freeview signals is quite tricky, even when using good quality
> cable.

I'm currently using one of these:

http://www.philex.com/parts/show/28104F

With short, DIY'd leads from the distributor to the tuners(using gold
connectors and satellite cable). Maplin sells them and also have all the
bits needed to make the coax cables if you want.

I did need to buy an attenuator though, as the distributor didn't much
like the raw aerial feed. This was a common problem with other
amplifiers though and not a fault with the SLX unit itself.

A friend who has an external aerial amp has had some success with these
passive splitters:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=QQ70M&DOY=11m7

(he's actually using 2 of the above being fed by another 2 way splitter.
Yes, he has 8 tuners...)

Matt