[mythtv-users] Best Remote?

Geoff B geoffbon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:54:28 UTC 2007

On 7/10/07, David Frascone wrote:
> I guess I either wanted some better profile for my 880 -- or pointers to a
> well-supported remote in lirc.  For some reason, I've had a hard time
> finding a settings profile (outside of the hauppage 350) that works well
> with lirc.  And -- the hauppage profile doesn't have many extra keys.

I feel your pain on this one, being in the same boat.  Maybe another
approach is to add another remote that you don't use any more as a
device in the 880 setup software, then use them both in the MythTV
activity?  That saves buying an IR keyboard, or selling the 880.
Issues would be:

 - You'd need two lirc.conf files - is it possible to merge two?  I.e.
can the file contain more than one 'begin remote / end remote' pair?
I'm pretty hazy on this end of the setup.

 - You'd need to generate the extra entries in lircrc; but you'd need
to do this anyway (unless you find a remote with a humongous amount of
buttons that someone already has a lircrc for, which sounds like it
might be a possibility too; if so, you could use the 880 profile for
that?)

Cheers,
Geoff