[mythtv-users] Rerun Mythtv-setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 11 12:12:09 UTC 2007

On 07/11/2007 08:00 AM, Peter Mclaughlin wrote:

> is there a straight forward way to rerun mythtv-setup post install
> when using the PVR350 TVOut. When I attempt to rerun setup from the
> desktop it generates a 'cannot connect to X server' error, even though
> X is running.

That's an X permissions issue.  Some possible solutions are to:

a) run mythtv-setup as the user running X
b) exit X and restart X as the user with whom you want to run mythtv-setup
c) use "xhost +" (shudders)
d) use "xauth add <hostname>:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 <cookie-value>" (or
"xauth add <hostname>:0 . <cookie-value>") where the cookie value is
obtained by running "xauth list" as the user running X, but is
irrelevant when running mythtv-setup as root--you just need some value
(like "4fa2b3ee0ab06a4e764687037bc5b22a") in there
e) from the same or another computer, use (as the user running X) "ssh
-Y -l mythtv <hostname>" and let OpenSSH take care of doing all of c
(and more) for you

Mike