[mythtv-users] Why would this happen?

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Wed Jul 11 07:30:15 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Bruce Nordstrand wrote:

>>> ...I am currently watching tonites recording and everything is fine
>>> so far (I remember how much I hate adverts now!).
>>>
>> Boy, am I glad I decided to watch this one - if I had gone to bed and
>> left it to record I wouldn't have seen the finish! Who's fault? The
>> broadcasting station!! "Officially" in their lineup it ended at 2:00am
>> (exactly where Myth stopped recording). However, the broadcast kept
>> going for another 45 mins, inside what was supposed to be Weatherwatch
>> until 5:30am. Just goes to show how useless all these broadcasters are.....
>>

> How are they supposed to know how long an event like that will run?
>
> Published schedules are the "best guess" at the time they have to submit
> the information, they are not psychic.
>
> What is it you think that they could or should have done other than what
> they did?
>
> Cut away from the event so their programming would match the guides?
>
> Remember "Heidi" ?
>
> BEWW

Ah, now any other time I would agree with you. This is not some football
game that went over time. These guys have been broadcasting this race
since Adam was a boy. It is a fixed distance which the bikes cover in an
average speed. The broadcaster well knows what a close approximation of
time it would take. This was the longest stage of the whole race,
therefore would have had a very calculable timeframe. They chose however
to allocate their standard time slot to it instead of extending by x
minutes. It is not like anything else would have been pushed late, they
close down after the last program anyway until around 6:00am every day....

Cheers
Bruce