[mythtv-users] System melt down

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 23:02:11 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>> My system has just dealt me a final blow to the privates.
>
> <snip>
>
> First thing I'd look into is your Power Supply. The vast majority of
> this sort of problems turn out to be in that area.
>
> Can't say for sure of course, just speaking from experience.
>
> BEWW

Hello again,

Sorry this is off topic, but a couple of people were being very helpful
to me so I'm writing my update to ask what to do next.

I found it too difficult to borrow a PSU today, so as much as I could
have done without the expense, I went out and bought a new one to put my
mind at ease. It's a Colors-it 500W, so it's better than I had in there
anyway.

I changed the PSU and put everything back into the motherboard. Turned
on, and got the Beeeeep beep beep problem. Failed boot.

I removed the sound card and both TV cards (leaving the graphics card,
USB 2 card, network card, HD, floppy and DVD writer). This made a
welcome single 'Beep' and started booting.

I went into the front room to see the output on the projector. After a
while of the Kubuntu logo, this is what came up (typed out manually, so
please excuse any errors):

/dev/hde3: ext3 recovery flag is clear, but journal has data.
/dev/hde3: Run journal anyway

/dev/hde3: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
	(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
					[fail]
  * File system check failed
A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writeable.
Please repair the file system manually.
  * A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot.
bash: no job control in this shell
bash: groups: command not found
bash: lesspipe: command not found
bash: The: command not found
The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by
typing:
apt-get install apt
bash: apt-get: command not found
bash: dircolors: command not found
bash: The: command not found
The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by
typing:
apt-get install apt
bash: apt-get: command not found
root at MythBox:_

I then ran "nano /var/log/fsck/checkfs"
and got this:
Log of fschk -C -R -A -a
Tue July 10 23:31:46 2007

fschk 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
/dev/hde4: clean, 10909/36290560 files, 35472044/72575645 blocks (check
in 2 mounts)
/dev/hde3: ext3 recovery flag is clear, but journal has data.
/dev/hde3: Run journal anyway

/dev/hde3: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
	(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4

Tue July 10 23:31:46 2007

What would you suggest I do from here? Doesn't look good to me, but
maybe it's not all lost yet. Not quite sure what's going on, but
hopefully I've given enough information to either shed some light or get
a couple of suggestions.

Cheers
Damian