[mythtv-users] EPIA M10000 & Plextor ConvertX MPEG2 ??

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Jul 10 18:19:48 UTC 2007

* On Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 01:30:15PM +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> I've looked at NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp and seen that the MPEG4 is the
> only option currently.
>
> Is it a big job to fix this ? or is someone working on it already ?

I recently purchased one of the tuner-less ConvertX boxes and have
captured MPEG-2 from it inside Myth.  I haven't committed code to allow
this yet because I'm also working on another patch which allows
NuppelVideoRecorder to write out container formats other than Nuppel.
This would allow you to write out a mpeg-ps container format file
which would then be played by Myth using avformatdecoder which would
allow you to use the hardware acceleration on your board.  If we were
to write the MPEG-2 video directly to a nuppel file (which I have
done and tested), then you would not be able to take advantage of
the hardware acceleration unless we also reproduced a lot of the code
from avformatdecoder inside NuppelVideoRecorder.

So, long-story-short, you can't do it now, but you will be able to in
the future.

> I'm willing to hack the code up and support this option if it's not
> already been done.

More than a simple hack, that's why I haven't got it in yet.  Basically
the file writing portion of NVR has been broken out into NuppelWriter
and AVFormatWriter classes so we can potentially write out any format
supported by libavformat.  The goal of part of this is to allow
mythtranscode to replace ffmpeg in the MythWeb streaming code.
I already have mythtranscode converting recordings to .flv in my
current patch.  Initially the only formats supported will be nuv,
mpeg-ps, and flv, but others could be added as they are tested and
proved working.  As part of this, the transcoder now uses the libav*
audio resampler if necessary because flv only supports certain
sample rates.

--
Chris