[mythtv-users] EPIA MII-1000 advice needed on surround sound.

Sarah Katherine Hayes aleph.wintermute at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 10 17:02:45 UTC 2007

> Although I used* the SPDIF output of my SP-13000 to get surround I am
> sure there is a setting to make the three 3.5 mm stereo plugs carry
> the 5.1 sound. I am not sure that is the output you are looking for
> (as you don't specify the number of phono connectors) but my guess is
> that 3x stereo to dual RCA might be what you need. Check the MII-10000
> manual for the jumper setting and also check what channel goes where
> on the surround system (I think the setup of the Epia is L/R front,
> L/R back and Center/Subwoofer spread across the three Speaker, Mic,
> Line connectors).

It's Front L/R has two per speaker, Rear L/R has two per again, Sub has
one, Cent has one.  Looking through the manual of the Epia it states it
does do the 'Vinyl' audio thing,  But I can see the cabling being funky;
as I'll need to break the Line-Out/Line-In connectors in to 4 phono
jacks (L, R, 2x common ground perhaps?). The Mic socket, will, as you
say need a bog standard 3.5mm to 2x phono cable (of which I've an every
growing collection :) ).
The manual also states 'click the Vinyl Audio icon on your desktop' so
I'm guessing it's a driver thing, I'd best make sure ALSA can actually
pull this off before I break out the soldering iron and see if the odd
bod cables will work.  I've found hints that the 1.0.11 in Ubuntu 7.04
might not be up to it so I'll give 1.0.14 a whirl and see if it gives me
the option.

And yeah, ain't SPDIF grand? One cable, five min of tweaking and bosh...
all good.

Sarah