[mythtv-users] "/dev/video0 doesn't exist" problem, hope you can help me!

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 10 11:06:21 UTC 2007

HHH wrote:
> Hi, I have a puzzled problem about my mythtv
> after I used the following command "[mythtv at localhost
> ~]$mythtv-setup", when I returned back from this setup process, one
> warning message would pop-out: "/dev/video0 doesn't exist", but
> /dev/video0 still exist now.
> Moreover, I can't enjoy Watch TV via mythtv, when I choose "Watch TV",
> one black screen would appear for a short time then dispear and return
> back to MythTV mainmenu UI.
> How to solve this problem!
> Hope to get your help, thanks for you!
> Best Regards!
> Gandolf
Try stopping your backend and then re-run mythtv-setup. Delete your
capture devices and re-add them. That should take care of the problem.
(You will have to reassign the line-ups too)

As a test you should be able to manually capture from that device with a
command line similar to this:

$ cat /dev/video0 > ./test.mpg

^ctrl-C to exit and then you should be able to play it back with:

mplayer ./test.mpg

If that does not work then you need to troubleshoot why your ivtv module
is not working.

Good luck,
Bill