[mythtv-users] Twinview CRT + TV and Domain panning

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 01:49:06 UTC 2007

The setup was more than enough for HD playback and recording.   Where it hit
the wall was trying to playback HD to one monitor and downscaled HD to
another.  If I remember correctly, part of the problem was the lack of xv
decompression support when using a TwinView setup with different resolutions
on the screens.

When I say I ditched the setup, I was only referring to that particular
xorg.conf.  I opted to instead use two different xorg.confs, switching
between them depending on which monitor I was sitting in front of.

I'm no longer using that system because, sadly, the motherboard died.  I'm
now running a collection of older hardware.

On 7/9/07, Francis Tessier <francis_tessier at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot guys. As I told Tom that's the kind of "been there done that
> (or couldn't do that) I was looking for.
>
> I'll just go for side-by-side (right-of instead of clone) displays,
> hopefully getting different screen resolutions working properly; or via
> setting up two screens in X like Tom pointed out.
>
> Chris: About that P4 3.0Ghz, I'm intrigued because this is the machine I'm
> using for Myth (front + backend). With a Nvidia 6600GT (AGP) and a Gig of
> Ram. At the moment I only have SD, but planning to go for HD this fall (with
> proper capture card that is). Question is: is the machine going to keep up ?
> (Because you said you ditched the setup. Do you still have the P4 as a
> backend of something ?).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Francis
>

>  ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 20:30:13 -0400
> From: chrisribe at gmail.com
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Twinview CRT + TV and Domain panning
>

> 1) Have my CRT and the TV working at the same time
> and
> 2) Have two different resolutions: CRT at 1280x1024 and TV at 1024x768 (I
> know I put 1024x768 and 800x600 in the first post, I only choose those to
> test things out.)
>
> I know I might have to set up 2 screens in xorg.conf, but it looks like
> twinview can achieve this, from what I could read. But actually never saw a
> confirmed case.
>

> OK.  I actually spent quite some tiem trying to get this same thing
> working a year or so ago without any luck.  I had a single frontend that was
> connected to an 19" CRT monitor in my office and a TV in my living room.  I
> wanted to be able to watch TV in either location at anytime, but I wanted
> them to simply mirror each other because I onmly had the one frontend at the
> time and the rooms were contiguous.
>
> Where it got tricky was when I ran into your problem - I wanted to be able
> to watch my HD content at native resolution on my monitor while having it
> simultaneously downscaled and mirrored on the TV.  I was never able to
> accomplish my goal of having the HD picture mirrored on the TV - the closest
> I came was setting my VGA monitor to 1280x1024, while the NTSC monitor was a
> 1280x1024 virtual desktop on a 1024x768 device with picture centered so with
> HD content you would get the full vertical picture with the sides cropped.
>

> If I remember correctly, at least one of the reasons I ditched that setup
> was lack of CPU when playing back 1080i content  - this was a 3.0ghzhyperthreaded P4  and an nvidia 5200 graphics card.
>
> Anyhow, best of luck to you, and please report back if you are
> successful!
>

> --
> TV/IT Engineer
> WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL