[mythtv-users] Twinview CRT + TV and Domain panning

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 23:32:29 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Francis Tessier <francis_tessier at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  What I'm trying to accomplish is this:
>
>  1) Have my CRT and the TV working at the same time
>  and
>  2) Have two different resolutions: CRT at 1280x1024 and TV at 1024x768 (I
> know I put 1024x768 and 800x600 in the first post, I only choose those to
> test things out.)

On my desktop computer, I have two screens.  One is connected to the
DVI connector and displays 1680x1050 (this on sits in the center of
the desk).  The other is connected to the VGA connector and displays
1280x1024 (this one sits to the left of the main monitor).

Using TwinView, the two displays comprise a single virtual desktop.  I
can drag windows back and forth between the screens - or allow windows
to span across both monitors.

When I run the mythfrontend, I have it set to display fullscreen on
the left monitor only.  Which is great because it lets me watch a TV
show while I am working (although there is a significant drop in
productivity).

The only downside is that, on the smaller monitor I lose 26 rows of
pixels (1050-1024) off the bottom of the screen.  In most instances, I
never really notice it.

The option you describe has a serious difference in the display sizes.
 In a similar setup, you would lose 25% of your horizontal pixels
(1024-768).

On the other hand, you don't describe a desire to use the combined
displays as a single desktop.  If you simply want two different
displays, then you do not need TwinView.  X has long been able to
support multiple screens.

If that is what you need, then the setup is straight forward - and
Google is your friend.

Tom