[mythtv-users] System melt down

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 19:41:12 UTC 2007

My system has just dealt me a final blow to the privates.

I've had my share of problems setting up Myth, and as a newbie to Linux
I've made my share of silly mistakes, but I got there in the end. Myth
has been running fairly happily on my system for a few weeks now. Just
recently, my girlfriend had started to mention a decrease in quality.
Patchy screen and screechy noises. I noticed this quite badly the other
night, but told myth to switch capture card and things seems ok. Still
got lots of things to sort out (remote, XvMC, alternate resolutions,
slow network), but as I gain Linux knowledge, I've been going through my
list slowly whenever I get the time. I impressed myself at the speed at
which I got Samba networking sorted the other day after following an
excellent smb.conf tutorial.

Today, I was told that Mythfrontend would not start. I went to
investigate and it wouldn't start for me either. I've had that before,
and logging out and back in seems to fix things. I did that, but still
wouldn't start. Went past 'resizing images', then died back to the
desktop before getting to the menu. So, I went for a reboot. Waited and
waited and nothing came on the projector. After a bit of messing about,
I realised that the computer in the garage was just giving me post
errors. Beeeeep - beep - beep. From my motherboard manual, this seemed
to be a graphics card error. However, a spare graphics card was giving
the same problems.

I stripped the machine down and tried to narrow down the problem. I
thought I had it being either the sound card, or the slot on the
motherboard where the sound card had been. I got to the point that the
computer was posting normally then plugged the hard drive, CD and floppy
back in and tried again. This time it was giving me beep - beep - beep -
beep - beep ... memory errors. I pressed down on those DIMM suckers and
tried again. All finally seemed ok at last. I thought I'd found the
problem. Sound card or a motherboard slot. I could find out which with a
couple more reboots. As I was thinking this, I went though to the front
room to see the output of the projector. This seemed to be booting
Kubuntu normally (screen with the progress bar showing), but then came
out of this and showed me some information about the hard drives. I'm
afraid I can't remember what it said and I don't have the heart to go
and look again at the moment. The system was waiting for my input (there
was a command prompt at the bottom of the hd info) and I seemed to be
logged in as root. I couldn't type anything though as the keyboard I use
is wireless over a usb radio receiver. I assume that bit hadn't loaded
at the point that Kubuntu gave up the ghost. I'll plug another keyboard
into it tomorrow, but as I was already feeling like crap and didn't know
what I'd do even if I did get the keyboard working I decided to step
away from the machine for tonight.

That's a long winded way of saying that my system is screwed and I don't
know what bit/s or how bad.

Is there a good, user friendly (I used to think I was a geek, but Linux
and Myth is proving my very wrong!) Live CD that could help me to
diagnose my system? On my work windows box (has to be windows due to 3D
Studio Max) there's an excellent Dell diagnostic tool that can check out
the entire system and tell you what's up. Something like that would be
great, but I know that's probably very specific to Dell hardware.

Sorry for the long moan. This was just a step to far. I've got a hundred
and one things I'm trying to do before the birth of my new baby (4 weeks
left and room room not even built yet!) and could really do without
this. Got to move the family over from their big impressive projector to
a tiny portable TV while I sort this out. I'm thinking it's probably too
bit to sort out before the baby, but maybe that's just because this has
not put me in the most positive frame of mind.

Cheers for any advice other than hit it with a sledge hammer. I'm close
to that as it is.

Cheers
Damian