[mythtv-users] Problems with PVR-500 - Massive instability?

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 23:22:53 UTC 2007

Title says it all...I just got my hands on a PVR-500, pu`t it into my box
and
I've had problems with it ever since...

A bit of background - the box is running SuSE 10.2, with the latest version
of ivtv (0.10.3) and the latest firmware along with the most recent MythTV
(from
RPMs).  It's an Athlon64 with a gig of RAM.   I could understand if it was
only
MythTV that went down, but when I try to use the card, the ENTIRE SYSTEM
locks up, and I need a restart to save it.

The PVR-500 I have uses the Philips tuner, so it's not a problem with the
tuner. (or at
least, the type of tuner in use).  I thought the problem may stem from too
much
dust in the system, but I've cleaned it out and everything's running okay
there.  Originally,
I had a PVR-350 alongside the 500, but I pulled it out for debugging the
problem.  The
PVR-350 works fine, with no problems.  I've tried changing slots as well, to
no avail.
ivtv startup is posted below.

Any ideas? I realize this isn't specifically a Myth problem, but I was
hoping someone could
point me in the right direction (and yes, I am sending this out to
ivtv-users as well).

Thanks!

 - Chris

# dmesg | grep ivtv

ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv:  version 0.10.3 (tagged release) loading
ivtv:  Linux version: 2.6.18.8-0.3-default SMP mod_unload 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1
ivtv:  In case of problems please include the debug info between
ivtv:  the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines, along with
ivtv:  any module options, when mailing the ivtv-users mailinglist.
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
ivtv0: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
i2c-algo-bit.o: ivtv i2c driver #0 passed test.
ivtv0: Autodetected WinTV PVR 500 (unit #1)
tuner 1-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tuner 1-0060: chip found @ 0xc0 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
cx25840 1-0044: cx25843-23 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
wm8775 1-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPEG (4 MB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2 MB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1 MB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM audio (1 MB)
ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
ivtv0: Initialized WinTV PVR 500 (unit #1), card #0
ivtv:  ======================  NEXT CARD  ======================
ivtv1: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
ivtv1: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
ivtv1: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv1: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
i2c-algo-bit.o: ivtv i2c driver #1 passed test.
tuner 2-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (ivtv i2c driver #1)
tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #1)
cx25840 2-0044: cx25843-23 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #1)
wm8775 2-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #1)
ivtv1: Correcting tveeprom data: no radio present on second unit
ivtv1: Autodetected WinTV PVR 500 (unit #2)
ivtv1: Registered device video1 for encoder MPEG (4 MB)
ivtv1: Registered device video33 for encoder YUV (2 MB)
ivtv1: Registered device vbi1 for encoder VBI (1 MB)
ivtv1: Registered device video25 for encoder PCM audio (1 MB)
ivtv1: Initialized WinTV PVR 500 (unit #2), card #1

--
Chris Robbins
Systems Programmer