[mythtv-users] Lost data on recordings -- can recover?

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sat Jul 7 14:28:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, July 6, 2007 7:35 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/06/2007 08:00 PM, Lan Barnes wrote:
>> OK, I screwed the pooch. I did a reinstall, extracted the mysql data on my
>> recordings, and proceded to save it on a partition that got
reformatted.
>> Now I have the recordings in their pristine format, but the new Myth
install (very clean, thank you for asking) knows nothing about them.
What are my options? Is there a way to get them into Myth some way?

> myth.rebuilddatabase.pl and a media player (to identify shows) and a web
browser (to get title/subtitle/description from i.e. tv.com) and a lot
of time...

Thanks to those who have answered. Now I have some stuff to try.

Let me clarify my goals to stimulate further suggestions.

We didn't lose the crown jewels here, so suggestions on how to do forensic
disk crawling to recover erased file fragments are probably beyond the
scope of the challenge. As my wife likes to remind me, IIAAOT (It Is After
All Only Television).

Suggestions on how to import the .mpg files so I can watch them are good.
Yes, I'll lose the data in the data base, but I have a show_names
directory.

But here is what I think would be the best way to go ... if only I knew
how (hint hint -- wiki page pointers being solicited).

1. using show_names, pick the worthwhile stuff and transcode it to mpeg2

2. make iso images

3. burn playable CDs/DVDs

4. erase

Does that sound like it can work?

If you haven't already guessed, I'm still a Myth Newb, although Linux and
I are old friends.

TIA,

<it's not that the Myth information isn't there, it's just that there is
so damned much>

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer