[mythtv-users] Rubbish Hardware

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jul 6 22:17:33 UTC 2007

Mark Ridley writes:

> I've just completed probably my third or fourth MythTV install, I tend to
> use hardware which isn't top of the range, lets say! :)
>
> Currently running on a P3 with 256Mb, using a Nova-S, and am amazed that
> there's very little jerkiness or stuttering.
>
> So, just curious to know, what's the lowest spec that is known to work? The
> last install I had used to freak out with mythfilldatabase, but I guess that
> may have been a bug that's been fixed.
>
> How crap is your setup? :)

I'm running Myth off a dual-Celeron motherboard, 400mhz overclocked to 500,
also 256MB RAM.  I have to apply some custom patches to MythTV which
automatically pause filldatabase, commflag, and transcode processes if
something is being recorded or played back, otherwise I'll start losing
frames, so it would be fairly accurate to say that this setup pretty much
nails the lower end of functioning hardware.

I'll probably be able to get some more juice out of this puppy, when I
upgrade the base distro to Fedora 7, with its tickless kernel.