[mythtv-users] EPG info to become available for Australia?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Jul 6 06:25:57 UTC 2007

On 7/6/07, Robert Eden <rmeden at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/2007 7:05 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > Australian users have a look at this which was posted on the OzTiVo
> > forum -
> http://www.freetv.com.au/media/News-Media_Release/2007-0174_MED_FREE_TV_NETWORKS_USHER_IN_NEW_ERA_OF_DIGITAL_TV_040707.pdf
> >
> XMLTV already has tv_grab_au which can be used with MythTV.

tv_grab_au as in default xmltv hasn't worked for years.  There are three
Australian grabbers out there right now that are useful.

The first uses "wiki style" contributed data from tvguide.org.au.
Volunteers fill in the data.

Another grabber (same code, different config) talks to icetv, a paid-for
source of tv data, but it's expensive for what it is and has been quite bad
lately.

The final grabber is a hybrid grabber which uses the basic free volunteer
data from tvguide and then tries to fill in extra data from various sources
(screen scrapes, etc).

REAL EPG info for australians would be a huge windfall.

This is also why we're secretly chuckling at the
"chickens-with-heads-cut-off" over the whole zap2it problem;  we've had the
problem since day 1 and have survived, so you guys in the US have nothing to
worry about.