[mythtv-users] Storage directory for MythDVD transcode?

Brad Patterson bpatterson at espec.com
Thu Jul 5 18:12:14 UTC 2007

> Setting the temp directory works fine for me.  How do you know that
> the specified temp directory is not being used?
>
> BTW, you mentioned earlier that you were trying to save the files to a
> USB drive.  I purchased a USB drive a short time ago.  I was having
> intermittent problems writing to it.  The only message that I received
> was an IO error.
>
> This was driving me nuts until I realized that the drive was
> preformatted as FAT32 and that FAT32 has a 4 mb file size limitation.
> Since I wanted to use a Windows laptop to view the files, I had to
> reformat it as NTFS.
>
> Perhaps you have a similar problem?

Tom,

Thanks for the ideas, but unfortunately that didn't work for me. The one
thing that I haven't tried, though, is setting the temp directory to the
path that I want myth to use and then exiting myth and restarting
(perhaps even restarting the PC?).  I am not sure if this would make a
difference or not.  The way that I can tell that it is not using the
directory I am specifying is by the info written to the mtd.log file.
Here is a snippet of that file:

"01:57:58: launching job: job dvd 1 1 3 0 -1 /home/media/movies/LUTHER
01:57:59: transcode command will be: transcode -i
/storage/videos/LUTHER/vob/ -g 720x480 -f 0,1 -M 2 -V -j 0,8,0,8 -y xvid
-w 1618 -o /home/media/movies/LUTHER.avi --print_status 20 --color 0
01:57:59: job thread beginning to rip dvd title
02:01:08: Error: Couldn't write blocks during a rip. Filesystem size
exceeded? Disc full?"

You can see from the snippet that I pasted, the transcode command is
trying to use "/storage/videos/LUTHER/vob"; instead of the directory I
specified which is /home/media/movies (my USB drive mount point).

I know I am not having the Fat32 problem, as I also ran into that a
while ago, and then reformatted the USB drive as Ext3 to get around the
file size limitation. Thanks,

Brad