[mythtv-users] mythbackend pid

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 5 11:18:01 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> Well we seem to back to the original question because when I launch
> mythbackend there is no PID file in /var/run so I "assume" that monit
> can''t monitor something that doesn't exist, hence my problem...
>
> Would using just the response from port 6544 work?
>
> Will the devs be adding back the PID file for mythbackend?

The problem you need to track down is why your backend is not creating a
pid file. You mentioned that you are running SVN. You should be able to
start the backend with the provided init script for your distro without
any additional command line options and it will create a pid file in
/var/run. Are you sure that the user you run the backend under has write
access to /var/run? I run mine under root for simplicity sake.

The devs have not disabled pid files so the problem is with your setup.