[mythtv-users] Problem with TV Out on M2NPV-VM

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:25:44 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Craig Huff <huffcs at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Joe White wrote on Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:02:34 -0400:
>     I have a similar setup as you do, David.  The differences are that I have
>     a PVR-500 AND PVR-250 and am running Fedora 5.  I was unable to use
>     composite from that motherboard and ended up using S-Video to tolerable
>     effect.  The only problem I have is that pure whites cast a dark(er)
>     shadow across the screen.  This happens both in and out of Myth (
>     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/258392?#258392).
>
>     If you like I can forward you my setting when I get home tonight.
>     Modprobe.conf, xorg.conf and what-not.
>
>     Joe White
>
> -------------- next part --------------
>
> Joe,
>
> I'm (hopefully) just about to reach a point where I could use helpful hints like your
>
> modprobe.conf, xorg.conf, etc., so *I* for one would really appreciate it if you would
>
> post them to the list.
>

> I am just in the beginning stages of setting up my first FE with this mobo to go
> with my existing combination FE-BE system.  I am using FC6 for my systems.
>
> I have been dealing with strange quirks like boot up randomly opening with
> the text mode screen (equivalent to ctrl-alt-F1) or with the X login screen
> (equivalent to ctrl-alt-F7) and also random disappearing PS/2 mouse cursors until
> reboot (probably) restores the cursor.  I discovered that I was victim of the
> i586 vs i686 Fedora Core 6 install bug, so I may have fixed these, but I had had
> enough for one weekend. ;-)
>
> I have also run into a stubborn resistance to setting the screen resolution higher
> than 800 x 600 on my (temporary, for initial setup) VGA monitor.  This, I'm hoping,
> is because I haven't yet switched from the open source nv driver to the binary blob
> nvidia driver.
>
> I should mention that I addressed the install bug and tried to fix the resolution bug
>  by reinstalling with the install command (IIRC):
>     linux i686 resolution=1280x1024
> or at least the correct equivalent.  Using the recommended rpm command
> (rpm -q --qf="....."), it appears that I got the install bug corrected, but the
> resolution command (taken from my install notes on the FE-BE system where it
> worked) didn't work on this new system.  Sigh.  I'm half-convinced that I may have
> either a bad sample mobo or this mobo design is not suited to use as a FC6 MythTV
> system.
>
> Oh, I almost forgot that, up until just before I gave up for the weekend, the audio
> was only coming out on the right channel of known-good unpowered speakers.  This,
> too, may be/may *not* be fixed.
>
> If anyone has advice for these "ghosts" in the machine, I would also appreciate your
> input.
>
> Craig.

Craig,

I experimented with a number of different distros for MythTV when I
first started.  I settled in with Fedora Core for a little over a
year.

About 6-9 months ago, I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu (primarily due
to package flaws and dependency conflicts).  I have been absolutely
delighted with the results.

I know that I'm running the risk of starting a flame war over which
distro is best, but you might consider at least experimenting with
Ubuntu (or other distros) before settling in with FC6.

As always, YMMV.

Tom