[mythtv-users] Downscaling HD Content on 480i

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 18:01:32 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Patrick Wagstrom <patrick at wagstrom.net> wrote:

> > I kinda suspect the PVR-350 too. I'll have to try playing the recordings
> again
> > and see what pops up in the logs. My last attempts are buried too deep
> right now.
>

> The problem is not that you don't have enough processor power to decode the
> video frames.  The problem is with your PVR-350.  In a nutshell, the PVR-350
> wasn't designed to handle such large video frames, thus, it doesn't have
> enough memory to scale the video in hardware and bombs out.  You'll want to
> upgrade to something that can handle both HD and SD, that should have enough
> memory to do the scaling on the hardware.
>
> There is nothing about your CPU, memory, hard disk, sound card, or most any
> other component that is causing this.  It is 100% the fault of the decoder
> of the PVR-350 which cannot handle anything beyond the maximum resolution of
> SDTV.
>
> --Patrick

Well, of course the 350 can't hardware decode the HD stream, but
presuming he has sufficient CPU/main memory, shouldn't Myth be able to
treat the frame buffer as a "dumb" card and do software
decoding/scaling for 480i display on the framebuffer?

I sure hope so, 'cause that was my plan once I get my HD tuners since
I still have an SD set.

Thanx!