[mythtv-users] Downscaling HD Content on 480i

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Jul 2 16:45:58 UTC 2007

Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> I've built a new frontend box with HD tuners and an HD screen and joined it in
>> a slave/master setup to my older standard-def box.
>>
>> My problem is that the older standard-def box, using a PVR-350 for display,
>> won't downscale and display high-def content. I get sound and a blue box that
>> is about the correct width for the high-def content but no picture.
>>
>> I've done my homework: searched the wiki, the docs and the lists here. Does
>> anyone know how to enable downscaling of HD content for a standard-def display?
>
> I posted this a while back:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/240912#240912

Thanks, I read through the postings and it looks like the answer is to run a
transcoding job after each high-def recording is complete. Ugh.

I think the easier answer is to continue doing what I'm doing right now: for
any show I want that's in HD, I also do a second recording in SD. All the HD
content I have available are the local OTA channels. All of their content is
duplicated on a second SD channel.

I just thought that with enough CPU horsepower Myth should be able to do this
scaling on the fly thus allowing me to record only one show.

Alas.