[mythtv-users] want to disable /proc/acpi/alarm wakeup

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 23:11:41 UTC 2007

David,

Your posting sounds like you don't think I'm using this or it doesn't do what is intended.  If that's true, let me
assure you it is implemented on my system and has been working correctly for months.

I don't get errors when I echo a properly formatted alarm time into /proc/acpi/alarm, even if the time is all zeros.
In fact, my mobo is limited to only using the time fields, not the date fields, so if I set it and then echo it back,
I get zeros for the month and date fields, anyway.  IIRC, the format on my system is "yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS".

I would expect to get an error if I don't lead off with "2007-", or whatever the appropriate year value is at the time.

I just got tired of the system waking up every day when I had no reason for it to run, so I figured out that I could
take advantage of the problem I fixed (had to change /etc/init.d/halt to rewrite the alarm time to HW *after* the
clock time was written to HW or else no wake-up would occur) for the times when I *didn't* want it to wake up.

If I'm misreading your post, please expand on your comments.  Always willing to learn new tricks.

Craig.