[mythtv-users] No sound on TV.

David Lonie loniedavid at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 13:58:33 UTC 2007

I ran into this problem earlier with a saa7134 card. Here a clip of my blog
when I got it working:

"...What caught me was that the drivers mute the card by default (whose dumb
idea was that!), and also has a setting called ‘automute’, which…
automatically mutes the card when you change channels or something. Crazy.
Anyway, install (or like I did, emerge) xawtv, and use its ‘v4lctl’ tool.
v4lctl -c /dev/video0 list should show you the properties, and its man page
can show you how to change them. I’m probably going to have to add something
to run on boot that un-automutes the card, and maybe a custom channel change
script for mythtv so that it works correctly (it just dumps to static after
starting to watch LiveTV)."

So emerge/install xawtv and use v4lctl to unmute the sound. I can't remember
the syntax, but it's in the man page. In Myth there are options to run
scripts at start up, channel change, etc.

Let us know how it goes!

Dave