[mythtv-users] Way OT: Cracking open an MCE remote?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 04:42:23 UTC 2007

As much as I hate replying to my own post, here it is for posterity:

Because the wife is out of town, because the Cubs got whooped this
afternoon (although thanks to MythTV, I didn't know that until
tonight), and because I decided that getting through a line of Pilsner
Urquell bottles was more interesting than getting through a stack of
backed-up work, I just went ahead and cracked open the remote anyway.

It's not that hard, but there is one big caveat -- there's a small
torx screw under the batteries that has to be removed to get the
remote open. Not having any torx screwdrivers, I was able to coax it
out with the screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit.

Once the screw is out it's fairly easy to find the bindings by prying
the casing with a butter knife. There's four clasps on either side
that can be popped apart. I was a bit worried that the buttons might
be individual pieces but thankfully they're all on a nice, simple
rubber overlay.

Maybe someone more skillful than I can do this without leaving marks,
but the fact that my remote has been popped open is pretty clear to
even the most casual observer

The whole assembly is just the bottom of the case, the top of the
case, the circuit board, the rubber overlay, and the little plastic
casing over the "Windows" button.

If anyone's interested, I'm attaching the Tux button overlay I cooked
up. Although GIMP claimed it was at the size I needed, I had to do a
bit of printer-level tweaking and careful cuts with a razor blade
before getting the right size -- about 12mm x 9mm.

I figure I'll leave the Microsoft logo on the remote itself -- after
all, they made the thing. I just couldn't stand the MS Windows logo
when nothing I own, let alone point a remote at, actually runs that
software.