[mythtv-users] Diskless

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Jan 30 17:50:41 UTC 2007

I came across the diskless how-to on the Wiki and, while I have the
entire infrastructure in place (I build both windows and Linux boxes via
PXE booting), I immediately thought "hey, that would definitely be QUIET".

However, the question that goes unanswered in the wiki is about
performance.  Since the entire system is loading and running off of the
network (I've got cat-5 wired) *and* mythtv is also going over that same
network, doesn't that beat up on the performance?  Especially since swap
would also be on an NFS mounted volume...

I'd be interested to hear about people's experiences with MythTV and a
diskless frontend to see if it would be a viable configuration or if it
is just a pipe dream..

Thanks!
-Rich