[mythtv-users] new user with error...please point me toward the appropriate reading

Mike Chandler michaelachandler at cox.net
Sun Jan 28 17:39:03 UTC 2007

> > > Carefully read the MySQL section in the MythTV docs -
> > > http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2 - and ensure you have
> > > given access to users wanting to access the mythconverg database.

> Reading through the offocial MythTV docs is important if you want to
> use MythTV, as it is not just a single executable and configuration
> can seem daunting at first. You need to configure your system (capture
> cards, listings etc) using mythtv-setup, start mythbackend, and then
> run mythfrontend on the machine you want to watch media on. In terms
> of the database, which should be setup when MythTV is installed, the
> defaults for ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt are usually:
>
> DBHostName=localhost
> DBUserName=mythtv
> DBPassword=mythtv
> DBName=mythconverg
>
> Nick
Thanks Nick...you're right of course, OK, debian makes it a little too easy to
install stuff and then not understand it. I have edited what you pointed out,
but now a question on the
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2
I went there, and it says...

"This step is only required on the system maintaining the database, which may
or may not be one of your MythTV boxes. If the database is on a non-MythTV
machine you'll need to copy the database/mc.sql file to it.
To setup the initial MySQL databases:
 $ cd database
(Debian 3.0)
 $ mysql < mc.sql "

Where is "database" located so I can do this???
Thanks much...