[mythtv-users] Gentoo 64bit and MythTV completely compatible?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 20:16:12 UTC 2007

> On Jan 27, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
>

> > Have such inefficiencies in the 64-bit implementations of these
> > tools been
> > eliminated in the intervening time? I'm currently running a 32-bit
> > Ubuntu
> > installation on my 64-bit-capable Celeron D system, but if there
> > won't be any
> > speed hit to running a 64-bit OS, I'll consider using one when it
> > comes time
> > to do software upgrades. Although the speed benefits are small
> > (about 5-20%
> > for most programs), x86_64 code can be a little faster than x86
> > code on the
> > same CPU, all other things being equal.
>
> I think that, at least a couple of months ago, the consensus was that
> there is nothing to be gained on a Myth system by running in 64-bit
> mode.

Well, my biggest reason was to support 4+GB of memory. When I bought
my new system I purchased 4GB of memory with the idea of adding a
second 4GB of memory so that I could have fast running of mytharchive
as during the processing most of the data will be in cache.

BTW, if anyone thinks I am nuts for wanting this much memory for this
I paid $300US for 4GB of PC3200 REG ECC around a year ago and I assume
the price will be lower now.

John