[mythtv-users] MythDVD can't make non-perfect rips

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jan 27 04:39:04 UTC 2007

I'm having trouble making a 'good' quality DVD rip in Myth.  I see this in the
mtd log:

12:08:37: Error: DVDPerfectThread read failed for 484304953 blocks at 1540826
12:08:37: job failed: job dvd 1 1 7 0 -1 /data/movies/OUR_LIPS_ARE_SEALED

However, I can watch the DVD fine in Myth (using the internal player), so the
DVD drive, the disc itself, and DVDCSS must all be OK.  I can also make a
'perfect' rip of the same disk, so ripping works.  I can even paste the
transcode command that mtd says it's going to launch, edited to point to the
.vob file the perfect rip just made, and it happily runs to completion
producing a good .avi file.  I've searched gossamer threads as well as used
searched with google.  I've found a number of postings with similar problems,
but none of them can both watch and make perfect rips of the same disc they
can't make good rips of, nor have I found any cases with suggested solutions
that I haven't tried, so my case seems to be different.  So I'm at a loss to
see what's wrong.

I'm running ubuntu 6.10 (edgy eft) on an AMD64 machine (Athlon 64 3000+, 512M
memory), Myth 0.20 using the ubuntu packages (including mythdvd version
0.20-0.6ubuntu4).  I installed DVDCSS using the
/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh script.  I'm attaching a mtd log with
-v all showing a failing 'good' rip immediately followed by successful
'perfect' rip of the same disk in case it shows something useful.  I'd
appreciate any suggestions of things to try to get this working.  Or if someone
is able to make 'good' rips under ubuntu edgy on an AMD64 box, I'd love to hear
how you got it working.

Thanks in advance.

--
Peter Schachte              I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, [my child]
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you