[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Rod Rod at Rods.id.au
Fri Jan 26 22:56:57 UTC 2007

Robert Johnston wrote:

>On 1/26/07, Rod <Rod at rods.id.au> wrote:
>

>>Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>

>>>I need to build a new front-end only box for the bedroom that needs to be dead
>>>silent. I can figure out everything but the CPU/Cooler.
>>>
>>>Is there a CPU out there that's powerful enough to playback HD where the
>>>cooler is dead silent? It doesn't need to *record* HD or do transcoding --
>>>I'll do that elsewhere.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Kirk Bocek
>>>thtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>>>

>>    Have you considered water cooling of the CPU, then running the tubes
>>to a cooling tower with a large low speed fan?
>>

>You mean something like the Zalman Reserator?
>
>http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=216&code=021 - The
>Reserator 2 in this case, though the Reserator 1 would also do the job
>just fine.
>
>Or, if you want a complete solution, that is totally noiseless (IE,
><20dBm) How about a TNN case:
>
>http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=175&code=020

    I'm sorry, I wasn't jumping on any brand, but Zalmann is only 1 of a
few I know..

    Gigabyte
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/ThermalSolution/Default.aspx

    Thermaltake
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/liquid_index.asp

    Swiftech
http://www.swiftnets.com/

    Also there are the brandless ones, the toolmaker that my company
uses manufactures his own CPU cooling blocks for his over-clocked
system, and they are rated quite high on the cooling stakes.

    I'm not saying you should overclock your CPU's or stick to this
brand or that, but if you extract the heat from your CPU, North/South
Bridge, Video card to a external location, even if its a 6 foot tower
made like a fashionable corner lamp then you can cut your sound ;o)