[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 24 06:12:03 UTC 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:39 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 1/24/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> If it weren't for a certain bloated OS most consumers could get by
> just fine with an 8088 CPU. Except for HD playback, de-interlace and
> transcode even Myth users don't need much CPU, but a lot of disk I/O
> bandwidth.
>
> You are exaggerating. An 8088 doesn't have enough power to display
> jpegs at reasonable speed, let alone handle mp3s, and forget video.
> Unless "most consumers" do nothing with their computer but handle
> email an 8088 is not going to be enough. A 33MHz 386, maybe, but
> pretty standard stuff like ripping CDs to mp3 would be pretty painful.

Well perhaps I *was* exaggerating to make a point. Most consumers do
email and web browsing, and some of the graphical content of modern
web sites does take some CPU to deal with.

In any case a working 8088 machine these days would probably be worth
a lot, more or less like a VW Beetle in good condition :-)

The original point being that you can get some really good deals on
"obsolete" hardware that will work just fine, even ripping CDs would
just take a little time and can be done overnight. A working Myth
machine for $200 is not unreasonable, not including the display of
course, but most of us already own a TV set of some sort.

It's all a question of whether you have more spare time or more spare
money I guess.