[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate Warranty support *Warning*

Jaz Singh jazee at tds.net
Tue Jan 23 20:11:23 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Jaz Singh <jazee at tds.net> wrote:
>> I am forwarding a message I got from Seagate regarding warranty of my
>> drives.  We are all storage hogs, and probably all run drives 24x7,
>> so warranty is a concern.  I figured that you may want to know about
>> this...
>>
>> I purchased a drive in December 2006, and wanted to see what the
>> Seagate site said about expiration of warranty.  To my surprise, it
>> ends in Feb 2008!! (Only 1 year and 2 months)
>> SN: 6PT0SS37
>> Model: ST3160023AS
>
> You must have purchased a drive with a 1 year warrantee if not I would
> complain to the vendor that sold you the drive. Current drives have 1,
> 3 or 5 year warrantees and you normally pay a little more for the
> longer warrrantee. I only pruchase drives with 5 year warrantees but I
> guess if any of them died 4 to 5 years from the purchase date I
> probably would not even want a replacement as the drive would  be very
> slow and small compared to what was current.
>
> John

All Seagate drives are 5 year warrantee, at least after 2004.  I have
purchased many drives before then with 5 year warranty.  The problem is
that is very difficult to prove/maintain, unless I tape a receipt to
each drive installed.
The drives I am referring to are:
1 - 120GB IDE drive purchased in 2003 or 2004  - pretty sure it has 5
year warranty, but don't have any proof.
1 - 160GB SATA2 drive purchased last month. (Dec 2006) Definitely has 5
year warranty.

Neither one are small or slow, and are very useful to me when building
myth systems...
In any case, it is disturbing to me that the warranty will essentially
degrade from what is advertised on the box.