[mythtv-users] Fwd: Need MythTV 0.18/FC3/ATRPMs Upgrade Advice

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 01:20:24 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a FC3 box running Myth 0.18, and I would like to upgrade to 0.20.
>
> Can I get to Myth 0.20 using ATRPMs with a FC3 system?  I see that the links
> to FC3 and FC4 have been removed from http://atrpms.net website, so I am not
> optimistic.  Am I stranded until I upgrade my distro to FC5 or higher?

Well, let's look at the bigger picture.

What's broken?

Presumably, your capture card works, you've got a time-tested stable
OS install, and let's assume that you're happy enough with the overall
package versions provided by FC3 and whatever you previously
downloaded from atrpms aside from wanting a newer mythtv...

I say, seriously consider the option of keeping everything as-is and
just building mythtv-0.20 -fixes and future releases from source and
installing over your existing mythtv-0.18 rpms

This way, you don't need to worry about *OTHER* package updates or
kernel updates breaking your system. You control when mythtv gets
updated, and you're *ONLY* changing mythtv when you upgrade it.

> Can an upgrade to/reinstall of FC5+ be done in-place, without wiping out my
> existing Myth configuration ( i.e., among other things, myth uses a logical
> volume that spans a 200GB partition on the boot disk, plus a second 300GB
> disk).

I'm willing to bet that you can creatively do lots of things to
maintain most of your existing configuration and data, but with LVM
spanning two drives and no parity, you're going to need to restore
from backup twice as soon as people with just a single drive boot
disk... Hope you have your database and config backed up. (Man, I
would hate to lose my recorded show history data!)

> Appreciate any guidance you can offer...

I'm running a super hacked up FC1 with latest MvthTV svn... and my
server is very stable.

If you're not comfortable performing software surgery on your mythtv
box, then perhaps building from source isn't for you. Also, if you
can't afford the 'hit' of having mythtv down while you debug a
problem, then you should probably consider having a development mythtv
server and a production mythtv server.

-Ross