[mythtv-users] Seeking advice - graphics card recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 17 22:47:10 UTC 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Arthur Green wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I'm a MythTV newbie, working on a combined front- and back-end system
>> which will sit beside or under the TV in the living room. I want to
>> connect the MythTV system to my current TV, which has either SCART or
>> co-axial input. Does anyone have a recommendation for a graphics card
>> which has a co-axial TV-out port? Ideally it would also have DVI
>> output
>> for when I upgrade the TV.
>
> Coax means it must carry audio as well as video. I'm not aware of a
> video card that does this. I'm not sure that I would want it to since
> coax is such poor quality when compared to svideo, component, DVI,
> VGA, and even composite. If you're looking for SCART, try searching
> the list. I know it's been mentioned many times in the past but I
> skip over those messages since I just use DVI.

Coax can be used to carry composite video, and multiple coax cables
can be used to carry component video signals.

But the "coax" input of a TV set is usually an RF input. The usual
way to obtain an RF signal is to feed the S-Video or composite video,
as well as the audio, into an RF modulator which then feeds the RF
input of the set.

The problem is that good modulators are expensive, and cheap ones
look like crap.

Your best bet is probably to adapt the video out of your card and the
audio into some sort of SCART adapter. There has been some mention of
this on this list but I don't know much about SCART connectors as
they  are not used here in the US.

The EU types here can probably point you in the right direction, and
google is your friend as always.