[mythtv-users] Asus A8N-VM board + Alsa AC3 SPDIF

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Jan 17 21:49:54 UTC 2007

> > I am having a similar PCM-good/AC3-bad issue on my Gigabyte
> GA-M55plus-S3G
> > w/ Creative Audigy 2 ZS:
>
> i'm doing SPDIF-out on that exact same motherboard.
> there's no need for a separate soundcard like you have.  the
> GA-M55plus-S3G has
> a coax SPDIF-out header on the motherboard.

Yes, there's a header, but my mobo didn't include anything to plug on the
header, I couldn't find anywhere to order an adapter separately, and I read
somewhat conflicting reports of whether the onboard audio chip would work
well with Linux - so I went with the "sure thing" Creative card. All four
PCI slots are full, but if I need a 4th tuner I'll probably go for an
HDHomeRun. Glad to hear that it does work for you - what distro, did you
have to do anything "special" or did it just work for AC3?

I now have a digital-IO header adapter from a recently retired ASUS socket A
mobo, I wonder if that would work...

Just last week I got another M55plus / 4200x2 for my Windows box as sort of
a hot spare for the mythbox, and now it looks like that was just in time, I
don't see the M55plus in stock any more this week. End of lifed already
after 6 months?