[mythtv-users] Need help with meaning of channel table fields

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 16 02:41:34 UTC 2007

Al B. wrote:
>> No, if your PVR-250 is hooked up to the straight coax getting analog
>> signals, you want to have an analog channel lineup from zap2it for
>> it.  You
>> did it right the first time.
>>
>> -Jerry
>>

>> But doesn't that go against the point R. G. Newbury was making in regards
> to "...not having the same channel appear in 2 different lineups" ??  Based
> on the way I originally set this up, any channel under 100 would exist in
> both lineups.  (and presumably have the same xmltvid)

When you connect the comcast settop box to the PVR150, you will not be
tuning using the PVR 150. You will be tuning using the STB. The PVR will
always be set on '3' or '4', and you will use an auxiliary command
(through an IR blaster, usually) to control the STB. The input will
likely be S-video, not the coax input. You do NOT use the same command
setup to tune the PVR 250.

Each lineup is a unique set of channels which is tuned by the same setup
and method. You may have multiple tuners which respond to the same
tuning parameters (each half of a PVR500 for example). But any channel
which is tuned by a different set of parameters must be in a different
lineup. Duplicated channels are not permitted because the system cannot
know which tuning method is the correct one.

You may (incorrectly) assume that myth knows how to tune each tuner, and
therefore knows how to tune a given channel. But in fact, myth only
knows how to apply the listed tuning parameters given for a channel, to
the indicated (allowed) tuner. If the tuning parameters were actually
for a different tuner, it would have no way of knowing because it does
not tune that way.

Geoff