[mythtv-users] [OT] Samsung HDTV Question

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 23:59:53 UTC 2007

>From: "Bill Williamson" <bill at bbqninja.com>
>
>Quite specifically, with my samsung, the following applies:
>-NO edid information
>-ONLY accepts "true HD" signals (1280x720, 1920x1080i, YYYx576,
>ZZZx480) despite it being a 1366x768 panel.  Any other signals display
>a blank screen.
>-has an uncontrollable amount of overscan (the same as if you plugged
>in an HDMI dvd player/set top box/etc I'd expect)
>-isn't adjustable the way the VGA signal is
>
>My personal experience is that, counter to what you'd expect, you get
>much better quality from the VGA input due to being able to get a
>pixel-perfect image from the PC.

My experience with VGA is the exact opposite.  I have a 1280x720 Samsung
DLP.  Using the same modeline and doing direct comparisons (twinview with
both connected simultaneously) the image with VGA was horrible, even after
hours of adjustment.  It ranges from slightly soft to somewhat blurry with
no consistency from edge to edge.  The DVI/HDMI picture is sharp from edge
to edge (even with sharpness set to 0 and DNIe turned off).  Of course YMMV.

Jake