[mythtv-users] OT: Need a new HDTV

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:57:49 UTC 2007

>From: Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com>
>
>Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > I've only ever seen 1080p content on my display once and it is
> > absolutely beautiful but the only way to get it is from HD-DVD, Blu-
> > Ray or to download it as 1080p so a 1080p isn't really "future-
> > proofing". 1080i will always been in the future for HDTV since it's
> > one of the broadcast standards.
>
>But there is no such thing as "1080i display". All modern displays are
>progressive and in order to not loose spatial resolution you need 1080p
>display. Anything less like 720p or 768p is throwing away information.
>
>Bolek

This is true, but at a 7-10 foot viewing distance on a 32-37" screen, it's
pretty much impossible to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.  I
would personally suggest a larger screen for that viewing distance and stick
with 720p.  You can find 42" DLP's for under a thousand if you shop around.

Jake