[mythtv-users] networking

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 15 16:53:48 UTC 2007

On Jan 14, 2007, at 9:54 PM, Todd Houle wrote:

> Yes, I've turned off b already, but thanks for the thought.  The
> issues is more responsiveness with the menus and total loss of signal
> due to phones/microwaves.  Changing channels have little to no
> effect...  We've been using it for about a year like this, but the
> wife is starting to get a little frustrated by it.  I'm thinking of
> the Netgear 85MB unit, but it's a little expensive...
>    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122166
>    -t-
>
> On Jan 14, 2007, at 11:25 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> On Jan 14, 2007, at 7:47 PM, Todd Houle wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone.  I have a remote frontend over wireless.  While it
>>> generally works ok, when anyone gets on the cordless phone, or
>>> someone uses the microwave, we loose connectivity and have to
>>> restart
>>> the remote frontend.  I can't get a wire to this location so am
>>> looking for alternative network methods.  I once saw these units to
>>> plug into a power outlet.  Has anyone used them with Myth?  Do they
>>> provide enough bandwidth?  I'm using just standard def cable.   Are
>>> there any recommended brands or vendors?
>>>   thanks
>>>     Todd

I'm paraphrasing here, but the general tone of the FCC rules for
operating in the 2.4Ghz. band are"

"You must accept any interference, including that which results in
undesired operation..."

In other words, don't complain if things don't work as you expected.

There are also the generic "instructions" included with every
wireless device, which include helpful advice like "try re-orienting
the antenna(s)" etc. We all throw these away of course.

The idea of trying 802.11A is reasonable, as it operates outside the
2.4 Ghz. band. Using a 5.8Ghz cordless phone can help as well.

But no matter how well you "co-ordinate" your own house the fact is
your neighbor can fire up a device that wreaks havoc on your gear,
and there's nothing you can do about it.

The only real answer is to use equipment operating on commercial
common-carrier frequencies which requires co-ordinating with other
users of that spectrum. Not something most consumers are capable of
doing.

Wireless is not the same as wired, no matter what the manufacturers
might have you believe. The manufacturers all sell this "wireless"
stuff like it was candy, and consumers expect that something they
have paid for will work. But all frequencies are "shared" and once
you put your signal into the atmosphere you are asking for all sorts
of trouble. It's a miracle to me that these things work as well as
they do.