[mythtv-users] Duplicate screens

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 14 13:26:59 UTC 2007

On 14 Jan 2007, at 02:52, Matt Emmott wrote:

> Having a synch between two PCs that's akin to two TVs on the same
> channel is something I've been looking for for about ten years now.
> I've never found any good solution on the digital side of things -
> re-encoding or broadcasting over IP always results in different
> timing on different displays, and I've never found a way to synch
> them up.

This is maybe possible, if you have accurate clocks on the two FEs
and get them to report back which frame they're playing at what time.
The "slave" FE could very easily make a half- or quarter-second pause
or skip to synchronise with the "master" FE and thereafter no
corrections would likely be needed.

Unfortunately (for you) I don't think that kind of accuracy isn't
needed for cricket / football / election parties or making a cup of
tea in the kitchen. As long as you hear "He told me enough! He told
me you killed him!" as you leave one room and hear "No. I am your
father." as you pass through the doorway into the other room then
such synchronisation is sufficient. I think this kind of accuracy
would be achieved by broadcasting the video packets and playing them
back on each FE as they're received; it is only if the TVs are side-
by-side that a few milliseconds are important.

> I haven't tried the VLC solution yet, but if it works it would rock
> my world.

There are some notes on this here: <http://www.videolan.org/doc/
streaming-howto/en/ch04.html>

Stroller.