[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 20:29:52 UTC 2007

> It's just that people who are expecting to unpack their new PS3 and
> install Linux on a supercomputer are going to be disappointed, at least
> until a lot more work goes into the entire OS to unlock the potential of
> the Cell processor.  I too had visions of having multiple transcode and
> commercial detection threads running on my PS3 to take the load off the
> backend, but I think it's good to set the record straight that this is
> an unrealistic expectation for now.
>
> cheers
>   Jeff
Thanks for all the replies.  I guess it just goes to show that Ghz and
Cores aren't everything.  I have worked with AS/400s for years.  I've
never been able to find a benchmark that really compares the AS/400 to
a PC server.  The few articles I have read say that a normal PC can
out compute it any day of the week... but, the AS/400 can process 10X
the bank transactions all year long (literally with 99.99??? uptime on
average).

Jeff