[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 12 19:08:03 UTC 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 12:01 PM, Jeff volckaert wrote:

>> I really haven't had a lot of problems with this so far; the thing
>> I'm
>> working on now is the DirectFB / QT Embedded option, the wiki has a
>> howto for myth-0.19 running on x86, I'm keeping notes on getting
>> myth-0.20-fixes working on the PS3, I'll post a link when I get it
>> working.
>>
>> cheers
>>   Jeff
>
> Could you also post on the performance of the PS3 as a linux computer?
>  How many cores show up?  How fast does it compile stuff?  With up to
> eight 3.2Ghz cores that thing should rock like a mini-mainframe.  You
> should be able to do eight transcodes at a time.

For info on Linux on the PS3 go to:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

They are the folks who developed the Linux distro for the machine.

There has been a *lot* of discussion about these topics on their lists.

There are some serious limitations, like no access to the accelerated
video and a non-upgradable 256MB of RAM, but as you say as a pure CPU
box it should ROCK.

I just ordered a machine from them with Linux pre-installed, but
delivery will be a while :-(