[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Fri Jan 12 00:29:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 18:43 -0500, Reza wrote:
> I did something similar, I NFSed my recordings and videos onto my ps3.
> I pretty much have this data NFSed on all my machines, windows and
> linux. I prefer NFS because it works at the filesystem level. The only
> problem is that kboot fails on bootup. I think it has something to do
> with my fstab entries. It keeps on looping on a portmap error. To get
> around it I unplug the ps3 from the network on bootup. If this
> is indeed caused by NFS, i will have to rethink my setup.

You should check out the uPnP stuff, the advantage over exporting the
myth recordings directly is that the myth file names are all
With the djmount service, you have a full directory tree of
Recordings/{All Recordings,By Channel,By Date,By Genre,By Group, By
Title}/ etc, some sample 'ls' output from my server is below.  It makes
it a lot more accessible to people that aren't as familiar with the myth
backend.

If this is exported to a web browser that has file indexing turned on,
then the whole thing is dynamic and very intuitive, much more so than
just exporting the raw mythtv recordings directory.

cheers
  Jeff

> cd /mnt/upnp/MythTV\ AV\ Media\ Server; ls
Music  Recordings  _search
> cd Recordings; ls
All Recordings  By Channel  By Date  By Genre  By Group  By Title  _search
> cd By\ Title; ls
238 (PPV)                       Futurama                           Rent-A-Goalie
American Dad                    Heroes                             Rick Mercer Report
Ancestors in the Attic          Hockey                             _search
Being Ian                       Hockey: A People's History         Sesame Street
Blue's Clues                    House                              Smith
Corner Gas                      Law & Order: Special Victims Unit  South Park
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation  Monty Python's Flying Circus       SpongeBob SquarePants
CSI: NY                         Munich                             Standoff
Curious George                  My Name Is Earl                    Star Trek: Enterprise
Dirty Jobs                      MythBusters                        The Colbert Report
Dora the Explorer               NHL Hockey                         The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
Dragon Tales                    Northern Exposure                  The Simpsons
Family Guy                      Patent Bending                     The Three Stooges
Franklin                        Prison Break                       Traders
> cd The\ Simpsons; ls
The Simpsons: Bart Has Two Mommies.mpg
The Simpsons: Fat Man and Little Boy.mpg
The Simpsons: Ice Cream of Margie (With the Light Blue Hair).mpg
The Simpsons: Kill Gil, Vol. 1 & 2.mpg
The Simpsons: Moe'N'A Lisa.mpg
The Simpsons: Mother Simpson.mpg
The Simpsons: Much Apu About Nothing.mpg
The Simpsons: New Kids on the Blecch.mpg
The Simpsons: The Wettest Stories Ever Told.mpg
The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XVII.mpg
The Simpsons: Two Bad Neighbors.mpg