[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Thu Jan 11 15:58:58 UTC 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 11:05, Jake Thompson wrote:
> I have to second this.  My children 5 and 3, have no concept of commercials
> at all.  We have had Tivo and ny MythTV since they were born.  They seldom
> (once a month or less) watch commercials and get very frustrated when they
> are on.  Add this to satelite radio in the car and they have zero concept
> of commecials.  While this may be a negative for the advertizing companies,
> it is a positive as a parent.  My children only see what I feel is
> appropriate and they do not see "super destructo man" in commercials.  I
> was raised on violent TV and targeted advertizing, I am not saying it is
> bad and it has not turned me into a bad person, but I do feel that giving
> kids a chance to not grow up with this crap is a good thing.
>
> Maybe in the future my contribution to MythTV will to expand on the kid
> friendlyness, perhaps a new theam, and maybe something along the lines of
> what has been done with Tivo and KidsZone.
>
> -Jake

My kids only see commercials when I'm watching the weather network.  Otherwise
its no commercials allowed.  To be honest though, I achieve this my only
letting them watch commercial free sources (Treehouse, CBC in the mornings,
and PBS).  They only see myth for Veggietales (NBC) and watching DVDs.  I
don't think myth is ready for my 4 year old.

Mark